Fast-growing Hawk Fire near Reno, Nevada forces thousands to evacuate
A fast-growing wildfire spread from the Sierra foothills toward the center of Reno early Sunday, forcing nearly 14,000 homes to be evacuated.
The fire has been burning across a rugged section of the Humboldt–Toiyabe National Forest where the Peavine Mountain is ringed by homes and businesses on the Nevada side of the California state line, and some of these homes were consumed by the flames.
The "GO NOW" zone reached the edge of the University of Nevada campus as the Hawk Fire grew to more than 10,500 acres. As of Sunday morning, it was 0% contained.
Gov. Joe Lombardo declared a state of emergency in Washoe County and mobilized the Nevada National Guard to support aerial firefighting with two helicopter crews as well as 60 troops to help police safeguard evacuated neighborhoods.
"This is an active and rapidly evolving situation, and I urge everyone in the affected areas to remain vigilant and follow the direction of local officials," Lombardo said in a statement posted on social media. "The state is fully engaged, and we are working alongside local authorities and first responders to deploy every available resource to protect lives, safeguard communities, and keep Nevadans out of harm's way."
The fire apparently began Saturday and grew significantly throughout the day, fueled by strong, gusty winds, low humidity and dry vegetation, according to a statement from Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue.
"The Hawk Fire is a very dynamic incident for us as it's being driven by the winds," Richard Edwards, chief of Truckee Meadows Fire & Rescue in Washoe County, said in a video posted to social media. "The wind-driven fires move very rapidly into our residential areas, creating a lot of challenges for our firefighters to save homes and protect lives."
The fire zone is surrounded by neighborhoods, and nearly 10,000 homes and businesses were without power in Washoe County on Sunday. Portions of U.S. Route 395, a major north-south highway, were closed due to the fire. Reno has a population of more than 280,000 residents.
"If you have been told to evacuate, please don't wait!" Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said in a statement posted on social media late Saturday night. "Structures have already been burned in this fire and your life is more important than a building. Evacuating before the fire arrives also allows our firefighters to focus their efforts on battling the blaze."
Casinos in Reno offered discounts on hotel rooms to evacuees.
Washoe County, Nevada, emergency officials opened the Reno-Sparks Convention Center to evacuees, but said they couldn't bring their pets — small animals and large animals were to be left at two other locations. The Northwest Specialty Hospital in Washoe County said it has evacuated all patients out of an abundance of caution.
"The safety and well-being of our patients and staff remain our highest priority," the Northern Nevada Health System said in a statement on social media.
The Reno-Tahoe International Airport was outside the evacuation zone. Commercial flights at the airport were unaffected Sunday. The smaller Reno-Stead Airport was closed to general aviation traffic due to the Hawk Fire, but remained open to firefighting aircraft.
Earlier this month, three wildfires fueled by hot, dry and windy conditions north of Reno forced more than 13,000 residents from their homes, according to the Nevada National Guard.


