FBI offers $50,000 reward in National Guard soldier's murder
The FBI on Tuesday announced a reward of $50,000 for the arrest and conviction of a man wanted in the 2021 shooting death of a National Guard member.
Watch CBS News
The FBI on Tuesday announced a reward of $50,000 for the arrest and conviction of a man wanted in the 2021 shooting death of a National Guard member.
The lawsuit over President Trump's attempt to deploy the National Guard in Chicago and Illinois is officially over after a judge declared the administration's orders to be no longer operational.
It cost taxpayers $21 million for hundreds of National Guards troops to be deployed to Chicago and Illinois, where they were kept on base by legal challenges and never mobilized.
President Trump threatened Thursday to invoke the Insurrection Act to quell anti-ICE protests in Minnesota. He previously threatened to do so in Chicago, but never followed through.
"We are removing the National Guard from Chicago, Los Angeles and Portland," President Trump announced.
President Trump invoked a law called Title 10 to bring members of the Illinois National Guard under federal service over the objections of state and local leaders.
A National Guard member died in the wake of the shooting near the White House, President Trump said.
President Trump said Thursday evening that Army Spc. Sarah Beckstrom died from her injuries in the Washington, D.C., shooting, and Air Force Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe was "fighting for his life."
Two members of the West Virginia National Guard were shot near the White House, and an Afghan national who worked previously with the CIA is in custody as a suspect.
The Texas National Guard is leaving Illinois after being activated and sent, but never deployed.
The Supreme Court is asking for more information on the battle over the Trump administration's bid to deploy troops in Illinois, pushing back any decision by the high court until at least mid-November.
Staff Sgt. Demi Palecek and Capt. Dylan Blaha say they'll defy federal orders regarding Trump's immigration enforcement operation in Chicago.
In Illinois, 200 Texas troops have been sent to Elwood and have spent about 30 days so far, costing taxpayers nearly $3.5 million.
A federal judge in Chicago on Wednesday agreed to keep a restraining order barring the Trump administration from deploying National Guard troops in place indefinitely, as the Supreme Court weighs a White House challenge to her order.
Two days before a temporary restraining order blocking National Guard deployment in Illinois was set to expire, the Trump administration agreed to extend it by 30 days until the U.S. Supreme Court weighs in.
Attorneys for the state of Illinois and the City of Chicago on Monday asked the Supreme Court to keep in place a temporary restraining order blocking the Trump administration from deploying National Guard troops in Illinois.
The Texas National Guard sent seven members of its squad who had been deployed to Illinois back to the Lone Star state over their physical fitness.
After a federal appeals court this past weekend blocked the deployment of National Guard troops in the Chicago area, Gov. JB Pritzker was asked what would happen if President Trump invokes the Insurrection Act.
The Defense Department announced earlier this week that about 200 National Guard soldiers from Texas and another 300 from Illinois were federalized and sent to the Chicago area.
A village spokesperson confirmed around 7:45 a.m. that the National Guard arrived Wednesday night.
A federal judge on Thursday granted a partial restraining order to block the Trump administration's deployment of National Guard troops in Illinois, after state and local leaders objected to the deployment.
The Chief judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois says National Guard troops are not needed at the Dirksen Federal Building in downtown Chicago.
A federal judge is expected to rule on Thursday on a request from the governor and mayor to block the troop deployment.
Members of the Texas National Guard will be assigned to the protection of federal facilities and federal law enforcement personnel in the Chicago area.
Sen. Dick Durbin and Attorney General Pam Bondi traded barbs about the National Guard and Chicago, with Bondi telling Durbin she wished he "loved Chicago as much as you hate President Trump."
Tulsi Gabbard is resigning as the director of national intelligence after her husband was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer.
OSHA is investigating the death of a worker at a construction site in northwest suburban Palatine, Illinois.
Three Chicago bars will be helping Blue Moon (the beer) celebrate May's blue moon (in the sky) with some blue brew (in a glass).
The Illinois Junk Fee Ban Act is headed to Gov. JB Pritzker for his signature. The bill bans businesses from advertising a product's price without including surcharges and fees up front.
A Chicago man is facing charges after federal prosecutors said he used his car to ram an ICE agent in 2025 during Operation Midway Blitz.
Tulsi Gabbard is resigning as the director of national intelligence after her husband was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer.
The Pentagon on Friday released a new batch of 64 files related to UFOs, unveiling a second tranche of records under an executive order by President Trump.
Illinois lawmakers are considering legislation that a major gun rights organization says would effectively ban one of the nation's most popular types of firearms.
Federal prosecutors have dismissed all charges against the four remaining members of the so-called "Broadview Six," a group of protesters who were arrested outside the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Broadview last fall.
The new fund to provide payouts to those who say the legal system was "weaponized" against them raised immediate questions about its legality, implementation and enforcement.
Consumer and environmental advocates said Monday that they found overcharges buried in the most recent rate-hike request by Nicor.
One week away from Memorial Day weekend and the unofficial start of the summer travel season, with gas prices remaining high, negotiations were set to resume Monday at the largest oil refinery in the Midwest.
Chatham residents say they're losing a vital resource as Walgreen's prepares to close its store near 86th and Cottage Grove.
According to AAA, the average price of a gallon of regular gas in Chicago was $5.17 on Friday, up from $3.75 a year ago.
Peoples Gas and North Shore Gas Company customers are likely to see minor credits on their bills for the next three years, thanks to a $125 million settlement agreement announced Thursday by Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul.
A person suspected of having hantavirus in Winnebago County, Illinois, turned out to be a false alarm, officials said Monday.
The DuPage County Health Department has confirmed its first positive tests for West Nile virus in pools of mosquitoes this year.
The Kane County Health Department was set Monday to offer a free mental health awareness webinar.
At least 80 deaths have been reported in a new Ebola disease outbreak in Congo and Uganda, authorities said.
Engineers at Northwestern University have created a wireless polygraph to detect stress.
The owners of Gene & Georgetti steakhouse are suing a concessions operator over their expansion at Midway International Airport.
DraftKings announced Monday that it is closing its sportsbook operation at Wrigley Field after only about two years.
After more than 80 years, there will be no Ann Sather restaurant location in the 900 block of West Belmont Avenue in Chicago's Lakeview community, effective in June.
Flight attendants at Chicago-based United Airlines have approved a new labor contract, marking their first pay increases in six years.
The Chicago Fire FC announced Wednesday morning that its new stadium in the South Loop will be named McDonald's Park.
Pop star Britney Spears said she was "totally fine" to drive and had not had a drink for about six hours when she was pulled over by the California Highway Patrol.
Stephen Colbert hosted "The Late Show" for the final time Thursday night as the franchise came to an end after 33 years.
The Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago already has one of Stephen Colbert's old desks, and now it will receive the whole "Late Show" set.
A new internet tool developed with the help of the University of Chicago is making it possible for music listeners to identify songs that were created using artificial intelligence.
Lee Mendelson Film Productions alleges the U.S. Department of the Interior illegally used the jazzy tunes in social media posts and a video game.
Indiana State Police and the LaPorte County Sheriff's Office give an update after a 33-year-old deputy was shot three times at Franciscan Health hospital in Michigan City, Indiana, Friday morning.
Family and community members gathered on Friday for the funeral for fallen Chicago firefighter Steven Decker.
Steven Decker's brother, Jim Decker, spoke at the fallen firefighter's funeral on Friday and said, "he was born to be a fireman." He said his brother was inspired by their father, who was also a fireman.
A Chicago man is facing charges after federal prosecutors said he used his car to ram an ICE agent in 2025 during Operation Midway Blitz.
Meteorologist Mary Kay Kleist has the extended forecast.
A LaPorte County Sheriff's deputy is in critical condition after being shot at Franciscan Health hospital Friday morning.
Funeral services will be held on Friday morning for fallen Chicago firefighter Steven Decker, who died during a training exercise last week.
The Pentagon on Friday released a new batch of 64 files related to UFOs, unveiling a second tranche of records under an executive order by President Trump.
Tulsi Gabbard is resigning as the director of national intelligence after her husband was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer.
OSHA is investigating the death of a worker at a construction site in northwest suburban Palatine, Illinois.
Many Metra riders with disabilities have been forced to reroute their trips due to Monday's closure of the only elevator providing access to the Electric Line at Millennium Station in downtown Chicago.
Pothole complaints continue everywhere, but especially on one street in the Pullman neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago.
People in Lincoln Park and Lakeview have rallied against a plan to build a new industrial ComEd electrical substation in their neighborhoods, pushing local and state leaders to get involved.
Monday marks one year since Illinois enacted Karina's Law — legislation aimed at taking firearms out of the hands of people accused of domestic abuse.
Tenants at a South Shore apartment building said they've noticed their rent fluctuating by hundreds of dollars a month due to a change in how their utility billing system is set up.
This year, the road to the Final Four was literally short for Northwestern women's lacrosse. This weekend's NCAA semifinals and national championship game are being held on the Wildcats' turf along the lakefront.
The Bears are throwing cold water on Mayor Brandon Johnson's bid to keep them in Chicago as the team seeks a new stadium.
Kyle Busch's family earlier Thursday announced he had been hospitalized with a "severe illness."
Kyle Harrison struck out 11 in seven dominant innings and the Milwaukee Brewers beat the sloppy Chicago Cubs 5-0 to sweep the first series this season between the NL Central rivals.
Jhonny Pereda hit his first MLB homer, Randy Arozarena also went deep and scored three runs, and the Seattle Mariners beat the Chicago White Sox 5-4.
Pop star Britney Spears said she was "totally fine" to drive and had not had a drink for about six hours when she was pulled over by the California Highway Patrol.
Federal prosecutors have dismissed all charges against the four remaining members of the so-called "Broadview Six," a group of protesters who were arrested outside the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Broadview last fall.
Burglars broke into Salerno's on Tap in Chicago's West Town community early Thursday morning.
A former volleyball coach from Elburn, Illinois, has been charged in a sexual assault case dating back more than 25 years.
Chicago police on Wednesday were searching for seven people in connection with an armed robbery at the Thorndale CTA Red Line stop earlier this month.